Cirathorn

Large builds?

So I am curious how you all plan out your large builds. I've only ever played single player Tekkit and FTB mod packs over the years, and things always grew around me as I needed them.

I'd like to work on a larger build this time, and I tried to pick a decent area where I could build a few piers, and some warehouses and stuff. At least that was the plan.

I honestly am unsure now after playing last night and really looking around, digging, and planting trees.

So I was looking for advice as you all seem to have your builds pretty well planned out.

Thank you for your time

First off, welcome to the server. Large builds are what make the game fun for me. i have a few steps, most of which are conceptual before I ever start building.

1. Do I have some sort of RP flavor for this build? 

2. What rooms do I need in this build? Which have functional purpose and which are just for decoration? Is there a way to make the decorative ones useful?

3. With my list of rooms I want, I begin mapping the build plan on graph paper (at least roughly). If I already have an area picked, I consider the landscape.

4. Once the plan is set., now I landscape. Flatten or fill in the ground as needed. I place down stone bricks to outline where the structures will go so I know if I've made enough space.

5. Build the structures in whatever order you see fit.

That's my two cents.