Wahrheit

Planned deprecation: mcMMO

mcMMO Classic appears to be under limited support from its former authors and I plan to remove it in the near future.

Please use this thread to comment on what features about the existing system you like best, what you think its drawbacks are, and what you'd like to see from a replacement system in the future.

By Trait:

MINING:

-super breaker is great, especially for newer players who don't have imbued/burnished.

-double drops are nice to have but not vital

-blast mining, bigger bombs, and demolitions is really not vital, especially as tnt can't be used for mining in prosperus

WOODCUTTING:

-Tree Feller is arguably the MOST useful ability in the whole plugin.  Having a working and well-functioning tree feller ability is a vital QOL component.  This has in the past been a dealbreaker for whether I choose to play on a server or not.

-Leaf Blower is also one of the best abilites to have, for the same reasons as tree feller, though not quite to the same degree

HERBALISM:

-Green/Shroom Thumb (for dirt/cobble/stonebrick) is a big deal; being able to make nice landscape and building detail with excess wheat seeds is great for making builds look better

-Green Thumb (for crops; AKA crop replanting) isn't really very useful even if it looks cool; it still consumes the resources to replant and it's impossible to get a 100% replant rate so you have to go back through your farmland all the way anyway so it doesn't save much effort

-Farmer's Diet hasn't honestly been useful in my experience but it could be good for newer players

-Hylian Luck is not very useful despite the cool name.  If anything it leads to clogged inventories.

EXCAVATION:

-giga drill breaker is great, especially for newer players who don't have imbued/burnished.

-the treasures are kinda neat, especially once you start getting glowstone dust, but overall mostly just clog your inventory

FISHING:

-Treasure/Magic Hunter are both neat but it's hard to tell how much when treasure hunting also exists in vanilla (I believe this skill predates vanilla treasure fishing) and it's hard to see how the two interact and which drop is from which.  Meanwhile the "Traps" (tnt and poison potions" are just unnecessarily harsh on new players

-I honestly can't tell if Master Angler really does anything

-Shake is a neat idea but it would really only be useful on vets and upwards -- I think I tried it once on them and either it didn't work, or it did and I decided to not continue using it because I felt it was exploitative.

-Fisherman's Diet hasn't honestly been useful in my experience but it could be good for newer players

-The "Summon the Kraken" mechanic deletes the rod and usually kills you.  I know it's meant to be an anti-botting mechanic but I've triggered it by accident while not-botting so now I always walk on eggshells when I fish.  Hypothetically a version of this where it's harder to summon by accident and it summons a champ with real balanced combat mechanics and drops would be neat.

UNARMED:

-Unarmed is kind of a joke -- the ramp-up of xp requirements for levels on the server means its painfully slow to level.  The Disarm and Iron Grip are PVP-specific which isn't really a thing on this server.  Don't think I've ever had "Arrow Deflect" proc.  "Iron Arm" seems fine but haven't gotten enough levels to really experience it.

-Berserker is remotely useful but not for combat; it's good as a secondary giga drill breaker.  It can also make cracked stone brick but that's also doable with a furnace so w/e

ARCHERY:

-Daze is PVP only, so not really a thing on this server

-Arrow retrieval is nice to have but not vital

-EDIT: Having gotten a chance to try fighting without it, the Bonus Damage is a big deal and very helpful

SWORDS:

-Serrated Strikes is definitely good to get bonus damage in a pinch.

-Bleed is nice to have but not vital

AXES:

-Axe skills are overall better for the handful of players that have pre-nerf burnished axes than they are for the remainder of players

-Skull Splitter is definitely good to get bonus damage in a pinch.

-Critical Strike, greater impact and bonus damage is nice to have but not vital

-Armor Impact is PVP-specific and therefore not important here

TAMING:

-I haven't used Taming enough to speak authoritatively on it.  The ability to summon wolves to fight for you, or cats to... be cats seems good but I've used it only minimally, and more by accident than on purpose.  All the other skills are really tied to this.  I know some others use wolves a lot more though so I don't want to assertively say it's useless.

REPAIR:

-This ability is essentially useless now that vanilla anvils exists (I believe it predates anvils).  I've only put levels into it to increase salvage and overall power level.  It has also claimed at least one SS bow from me (my Tower bow got wiped when I accidentally held right-click while an iron block drifted into my crosshair and I "repaired" it, wiping the enchants)

ACROBATICS:

-Acrobatics pre-nerf was my FAVORITE ABILITY because having decent roll/gracelanding chance is great for reducing the damage you take by gleefully gallivanting around the world.

-Post-nerf even with a vastly higher level of acro than anyone else my roll chance is a rounding error so it's not that big a deal.  I understand why the nerf was made, but the resulting ability is a novelty rather than something significantly useful and shouldn't be considered a priority for conversion.

-dodging is nice to have but not vital

ALCHEMY:

-Catalysis is hardly noticeable as far as the speed increase goes

-Having access to non-vanilla potions is nice but I've used it very little

-This trait is painfully time-consuming to level

SALVAGE:

-Being able to salvage random gear is nice, but iron and gold gear you can do this anyway by vanilla smelting.  The benefits are overall minimal and this suffers the same accidentally-break-your-shit issue as repair.

SMELTING:

-Fuel Efficency and Second Smelt are great for increasing output from mining though I know this largely goes against the get-minerals-by-hunting philosophy

-increased XP gain is nice to have but not vital

-I've never used flux mining in my life

Most of the things in McMMO to me are just kinda there since I'm a heavily combat-focused player, I'll give my opinion of the combat skills at the very least (since I basically never use anything else):

Swords - Serrated Strikes is nice, though it can cause lag when you use it on a large group of mobs (which happens to me quite a bit in my hunting sessions). Predates the Sweeping Edge enchantment, and I feel like that's a bit more balanced? Bleed damage is meh against mobs, I know it disables regeneration if a player is bleeding, but since PvP is barely a thing on the server, there's no point in it.

Axes - I'll be frank, axes have always been the meta weapon in McMMO. Pre-1.9, they were flat out better than swords because of the bonus raw damage you could get on them. Even Post-1.9, they're still "swords, but better" and my main melee weapon for quite some time was an axe. They're even stronger when you consider that Skull Splitter is just the Axes version of Serrated Strikes, as well as the fact they get crits (McMMO crits are double damage, different from and can stack with vanilla crits). Armor Impact is useless against mobs, it's designed for PvP.

Archery - As much as I use a bow, this skill levels slowly and there's basically no benefit from it. You get minimal bonus damage (which is useful in vanilla, but here it's worthless with the custom gear), an arrow retrieval ability (worthless since killing one skeleton archer will give you like 2-3 stacks of arrows easily), and Daze, which only affects players and isn't that useful because PvP isn't much of a thing.

Unarmed - This skill exists as a meme. It is legitimately only viable against vanilla mobs, and only once you've leveled it up to get 5 hearts of damage from a punch. Next to weapons it's pretty bad and Disarm/Iron Grip are PvP-only.

Taming - I'll be honest, I have never seen a dog or cat in Prosperus. I have zero experience in this skill on the server. It's only really nice if you like the idea of siccing a dog army on something, and it takes forever for this skill to become legitimately useful for combat.

Acrobatics - It's nice for reducing fall damage. I'm pretty sure you get double XP for having a Feather Falling enchantment? Dodge is meh, don't care for it.

Drawbacks of McMMO:

Ultimately I've felt for years that McMMO is an obsolete system. Even its new version is essentially just a touched-up version of the original system with new bells and whistles while fixing none of the issues with the gameplay. It's entirely grindy (I should mention that it has built-in mechanics to give out permanent skill boosts, this is mainly used as an incentive to pay for ranks on servers) and I've known people who have literally done stuff like AFK grind skills such as Acrobatics.

What I'd like from a replacement system:

- Less grindy progression. McMMO skills are extremely grindy and it takes forever to make them good. I don't want to max out all the skills in a short time, but I shouldn't have to grind in order to get my skills up.

- Less stupid/pointless stuff. A lot of what's in McMMO is stupid and/or pointless. Its only real purpose is to create clutter and I don't care for it.

- Better non-combat skills. Non-combat skills are, at least in my opinion anyway, pretty lackluster in McMMO. The only reason to level them up is for the "extra drops" chance and longer usage of the special abilities. Super Breaker is ass because insta-deleting blocks more often than not causes ghost blocks which make this ability only useful for mining ores since it gives you 3x drops. Tree Feller should genuinely be a passive ability, it's one of the best things to have in Minecraft period, to the point of having multiple mods for this ability in singleplayer. Everything else follows a similar formula and are really same-y.

- Perks. I love Skyrim's perk system. Leveling up skills and getting perks to make them better makes character progression feel great. I've always felt this idea, if done well, could translate really well into Minecraft. Non-combat skills could be made a lot better ("extra drops" would be a perfect fit for a perk), combat skills could be more flavorful and unique. Respeccing your perk choices would be a good gold sink (which I know Wahr likes those a lot), and even in PvE combat, being able to have various perks to suit your playstyle would make combat feel more fun. Obviously, the main drawback to this is that you have to come up with perks for every skill, and coming up with enough unique/fun perks can take a lot of effort. I wouldn't expect something like this to be added, though I would love it if it were.